- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
NOW is the time to really get your team going for the 2016 Komen Iowa Affiliate Race for the Cure®. Team Captains must register first to create your team. Each team member can then register by clicking “Join a Team” and searching for the Team name. Your team registration fee gets you to the start line, but it’s team fundraising that will help find the cures!
Download the Team Captain Toolkit. It contains everything you need to know about starting a team, adding team members, and fundraising as a team!
Team Captain Checklist
Use this checklist as a reminder of your next steps and to help you keep track of your progress.
- Register as a team captain at www.komengreateria.wpengine.com/registerDSM.
- Choose a team name.
- Set a goal for the number of people you will recruit. If your company team is open to non-employees, tell team members to recruit their families and friends to join the team.
- Display event materials — brochures and posters — around the office, campus, cafeterias, break rooms, gyms, and other high traffic areas. Put your name, phone number, and/or email address on the posters so people can contact you to get involved.
- Post a progress chart with your fundraising and recruitment goals in a visible area and update totals regularly.
- Make a personal self donation first!
- Host a kick-off meeting or event and invite the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® staff to make a presentation.
- Send fundraising tips out to all your team members, highlight the teams top fundraising member.
- Create fundraising incentives so that all your members meet or exceed their goals.
- Remind team members to log on to their fundraising pages to record all offline donations and send thank you notes.
Need tips for building your Komen Race Team? Click here!
As the leader of your team, and therefore a leader in the fight to end breast cancer, it’s important for you to know and share with your team members the importance of fundraising. Simply registering and showing up on Race Day will raise awareness, but it’s the fundraising dollars that will help find the cures.
Last year, over 400 teams raised over $150,000 for the fight to end breast cancer. That’s a huge impact! We believe this was directly attributed to the team captains’ leadership and the support of team members to help meet and exceed their fundraising goals. This year, our goal is for Komen Race teams to make an even greater impact. To get there, we are counting on your leadership.
One of the best ways to inspire your team members to fundraise is to lead by example and start fundraising yourself. To begin, view the Fundraising Tips. Once you have started your own personal fundraising effort, and you have some team members on-board, read on for information on setting up your team’s fundraising page as well as some great team fundraising ideas.
The ultimate reward is knowing you’ve brought our community miles closer to the reality of a world without breast cancer, but there are also incentive prizes and awards to be had, simply for raising money for a cause you care about! Click here for a list of all the great prizes and rewards you are eligible for at each level, and start fundraising today!
Also, those who actively participate in fundraising for the 2016 Komen Iowa Race for the Cure will be eligible to receive great prizes given away at random! Stay tuned for more information about what will be available!
But be sure to check out the Team Awards page for more information on how we thank our top performing teams!